Rice Krispie Treats are probably one of the easiest desserts you can make. I generally don’t make them, but I ended up with a free bag of marshmallows, and thought I could throw some together sometime.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Cereal
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (or scraped vanilla bean pod yum!)
- 4 oz. (3/4 cup) chopped semisweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 1-1/2 oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
Melt butter and marshmallows in a double boiler or heavy bottomed pan, over low heat, until completely melted. Add vanilla bean paste and then add to cereal. Mix thoroughly, and pour into a parchment lined or greased 13X9 dish. If you’re using your hands, make sure they’re moistened or covered in butter/oil. Otherwise you’ll just have marshmallow treat mittens. I use wet hands, they work fine. Set aside and begin working on chocolate topping.
In another double boiler, or heavy bottomed pan, begin melting chocolate, butter. Add the espresso powder. Once completely incorporated pour over rice crisp treats and spread to evenly cover surface. Refrigerate until topping hardens a bit. (or just eat it now!!)