December 27, 2010
Morning Glory Muffins
These are by far my favourite muffins. They have EVERYTHING in them, but are still absolutely delicious. Moist and flavourful! Perfect for an easy breakfast.
Recipe after jump! –>
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ cup shredded coconut (sweetened, unsweetened, doesn’t matter)
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dark raisins
- 1 Rome apple, grated with peel on (I used a gala, just try to use a softer type of apple)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced (I used 1/2 cup crushed)
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil (*sigh* didn’t have oil, so I used melted butter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (I used vanilla bean paste)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with liners. Move oven rack to lowest place setting.
In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil and vanilla and mix well.
In another bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and baking soda and mix.
For the sake of organization, I also measured and set aside the pineapple, raisins, apple, coconut, and walnuts
Don't forget the carrot!
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until all ingredients are well incorporated. Expect lumps in the batter. Fold in coconut, raisins, grated apple, pineapple, carrots and walnuts.
Fill muffin liners until ¾ of the way full. Bake until a toothpick in center of muffin comes out clean or approximately 30 minutes. Serve muffins warm with a pat of butter.
If you want a “lighter” version. Substitute some of the oil for apple sauce, and half the sugar, or use that fake splenda stuff.